West Hanney - Butter Cross

The Butter Cross in West Hanney.

More

East Hanney - Village Green

A view of The Green in East Hanney.

About us

St James the Great

St James the Great Church in Church Street West Hanney.

About us

Church Street West Hanney

A view of Church Street in West Hanney, you can see The Plough village inn on the left hand side.

More

This is the village web site for East and West Hanney, its a community web site built on a voluntary basis and has been running since 2004.

East and West Hanney are often referred to as ┬┤The Hanneys┬┤ in part due to their very close proximity, a field separates the two villages. The villages were built in pre Norman times on a gravel bed in the Vale of the White Horse, the Church in West Hanney, St James the Great, dates back to approximately 1160. Letcombe brook runs through the villages, this used to provide power to the now sadly disused mills, the last of which closed around 1920.

One of The Hanneys claims to fame is to have been the home of the oldest ever recorded English woman, Elizabeth Bowles died in 1718 aged 124. The church displays a plaque to this remarkable woman near the font on the north wall..

If you have any comments, questions or suggestions please fill out the contact form by clicking here.

Latest news

Latest blog posts

Local Links

Useful links to other web sites in and around The Hanneys.

Links

Public transport

Stagecoach, Thames Travel and RH Buses operate a regular services to and from East Hanney, destinations include; Abingdon, Chilton, Marcham, Wantage, Grove, Cumnor, Oxford, Didcot and Milton Park.

Transport

Government

Parish councils for Easn & West Hanney and links to regional government

Government

Local area

A local map detailing the streets and house names in the two villages.

Local map

Telling Tales

Telling Tales is a book by Angela Cousins about the recollections of the villagers of East and West Hanney.

Book